April 29, 2009

last day of CBT

There are a few things I’ll miss about El Seibo. One of which is not creepy uncle that comes to the house every few weeks. Blanco is back. He’s not an awful guy. He cooks well and is always willing to make me juice, but his stares are too much for me. I will miss my host family though. Even if they are crazy, they know how to have fun and make exciting adventures out trips. I like my host family in Santo Domingo lots, don’t get me wrong – they are just different. I’m actually very happy to head back to the capital to see my fam! I hope they notice a difference in my Spanish. The thing I’m most looking forward to be getting fresh fruit in the mornings. They are also very good at conversing with me. The family here in El Seibo doesn’t make much convo, but we do watch telanovelas together. That’s kind of the way things are in the DR anyway. It isn’t about what you say or how you say it, it’s more about if your there or not. Just being present makes a huge difference to them. El Seibo its self I will miss because it way more calm and quite than my barrio in Santo Domingo. I’ll have to get used to falling asleep with earplugs again. Although, not for too long because one week later I’ll be on the road again.

We have just one more day and then we pack into a bus to head back! Training has been fun – kinda’ but I know we are all ready to move along and make that first trip to our sites. There is a rumor that we’ll find out of sites on Thursday!!! Keep your fingers crossed for a small town by the beach.

Unfortunately I’ll be skipping town the day before the Patronales weekend starts. Every town in the DR has a Patron saint, and to honor them the people of El Seibo has bullfights, carnivals, fairs, and lot of parties. The carnival got here this past weekend. It’s not much really, a few kiddie rides, a carousel, and a fiareswheel. However, it’s not just any fairswheel. This one packs in three people to a cart and probably goes 4 times as fast as those in the state. Lorena took Lindsey and I on this ride and it was WAY FUN. Yes it was scary because you think at anytime it could fall off and roll down the street. We survived. After, Daisy took us out to WOW and we did it up like Dominicans. Who knew that Sunday was the night everyone went to the dicoteca? So I danced with a few men here and there but kept my seat for a majority of the night. It was neat to see the groups of people and even picked out those people who have been to my house. It was perfect way to close out my stay here.

The past few days I’ve been in a funk. Can’t really explain it. I think I feel like we’ve just been passing time until Thursday, although instead of having little parties in class I’d like to have more Spanish class, call me crazy but I still need work. Oh well, why worry anyway. This is just part of integrating right? Learn how to relax and go with the flow, Dominican style.

I am writing this in the front gallery of my house as Lorena drives her boyfriend’s truck away with the radio loud enough to vibrate my chair. Like I said, they know how to party.

1 comment:

Raoul said...

I'm proud of all you have accomplished so far! You'll be dreaming in "Spanish" in no time.