April 23, 2009

hallelujah

My last two Spanish presentations are done! My group knocked them out in two days. Working with the computer lab in the high school was not an easy task. Tuesday se fue la luz (the lights went out) so we thought that class would be put on hold, but turns out the high school has a generator! After 20 minutes of thinking that we would teach, then not teach we finally taught. I almost forgot, the teacher of the computer class didn't mention to us or our technical trainer (Ann) that she would be in Santo Domingo that day! We were lucky that the class of 33 students behaved long enough to sit through our hour long power point presentation. they were also helpful when I needed my Spanish corrected. We got positive feed back and impressed our grading audience with how we controlled the class - even with our low Spanish level.
Wensday night went a lot more smooth. There were only about 20 students and most of them were older since we taught the night class. the average age was about 20 years old. Even though these students were older, they were the basic computer class. We taught the very basics of Microsfot Word. It was challenging to pace the class since some people could type and others didn't even know where the space bar was. Again, it went very well and those people who wanted to learn did!
Now I only have one more week here in CBT - then off to the last few weeks of training! For now I have Spanish classes and a few more sessions on technical stuff. For the most part I am hanging out with my family watching telanovelas and trying various types of potatoes and boiled plantains. I'll be sad to leave El Seibo, but I am crossing my fingers that my site will have the same type of rolling hills and rich land to keep me company.

1 comment:

Raoul said...

Here is something you might recognize: "You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right foot with your left."
We're so proud of you as meet these new challenges -- keep up the good work!
Love,
Mom & Dad