March 10, 2009

El fin de semana

I have noticed that I am much more enthusiastic about speaking Spanish after coming home from the training center. On Saturday Irene picked me up from the center and we got into a shared taxi (carro publico), we had taken one that morning on the way to Entrenea, but in this one there were already four people plus the driver, needless to say it was a tight squeeze (Irene is not a small woman). After crossing the highway we walked to the house, for practice she made me take her to the house so that I could familiarize myself with the barrio. And because I’m so observant I found the house without any problem. Once home my dona wanted to feed me but I told her I ate not too long ago and would have dinner closer to 7pm, since it was 2:30pm. I grabbed a book and went to the front porch so I could people watch for a while. My mom came out for a little bit to chat. It was surprisingly productive and I learned that my laundry gets done on Monday while the rest of the house does theirs on Saturday. Not too long after I went with a few trainees to a baseball field to play ball.
Well, I didn’t actually play ball because those of you who know me would know I don’t play baseball or any kind of sport that includes a ball. I’m more of an endurance sport like running if that! So I was walking around taking pictures for one of the girls when a group of about 12 kids came from a house next to the field. I was asked if I knew how to play soccer I said yes because out of all the sports I could play with a ball it would be soccer. So once in position to play the game it turns out we were playing volleyball with a soccer ball. Confused? Me too! So of course there was no net or anything, just an outfield with grass and three of us in a row hitting the deflated ball back and forth. After about 30 minutes of that they switched the game to dodge ball to include the younger kids that were standing to side bugging them to play. I was the token American who was guided by the 12-year-old girl who was in charge of the younger girls. So she would make sure I knew what was going on and told me the rules of the game. Dominican dodge ball goes like this: two people stand at opposite ends of one another and throw the ball at us in the middle. If we catch the ball we gain una vida (one point or life). If we get hit with the ball and don’t have any lives saved up we are out. For each time you get hit you take away a point. The bossy girl was the one who made up the rules as she went along, giving her lives away to the little ones as she felt fit. I however was not aloud to give my points away to the little girls who gave me such sad puppy dog eyes. I felt bad about not being able to help the little ladies out, but heaven for bid I step on any toes, even if they are small.
After about another 40 minutes of that I was hot and tiered. The bossy gal took notice and offered me a seat in the shade of the cement fence. I grabbed my water and went over to where the girls had set up “camp”. Not too long after I took a seat, the mother of the group offered me a seat. The mother was outside her house with a group of older girls, possibly sisters or daughters. She was very nice and I applaud her for entertaining all those wild children. The girls wouldn’t let me get the chair myself because the grass was too high and they didn’t want me to get bugs. How sweet, right? So while sitting I tried out my Spanish and they their English. I also learned some “patty cake” type hand games, you know, the kind girls play. It was all going well and then the rest of my crew was ready to go, and truthfully I was too. I personally delivered the chair back to the mom, something I thought was a nice gesture I hope she did too because things here in the Dominican Republic rely heavily on peoples impressions. On the way back to the house we stopped off at Jarrod’s house and had some water. His house is big. Most of the trainees have larger houses than mine, something I wish I wasn’t jealous of, only because I have no where to practice yoga. I mean there really is no room! But I digress. I came home and had dinner; I think it was my first meal by myself, something I’m getting used to. Dinner here is like lunch. Sometimes smaller portions or less food in general but since my dona doesn’t see me eat my staple of rice and bean and the training center I get the same at dinner. I’m working on taking beans at one place or the other, the rice I’ll eat all day – no problem. Later that night I went with Mayra and her kids to park the car a few houses down, there is a parking garage where other people from the neighborhood put their cars at night. Upon our return we stopped at the neighbor’s house and sat outside a while to chat and let the kids play with one another. One thing I have failed to mention and I’m sorry – it is very very very loud here in the DR. we were sitting outside and these ladies were using inside voices as the music across the street was busting my eardrums. Yes that loud! So I sat there and asked for clarification every now and then to make it look like I understood most of it. I did however get the one very funny joke about her wedding night way back when, but I dare not repeat it! For my third night here the weather still had not warmed up so I slept in my very yummy and cozy sleeping bag, it was so good.
Sunday is like any other Sunday in the U.S. Some people go to church all day, others not at all. Others wake up to cockfights from across the street. I guess that’s not so typical in the United States. Yes ladies and gentleman, you read right – the shack across the street has cockfights on Sunday morning! I didn’t check it out because I was determined to get in another hour of sleep (of which I did). My family was very happy to see me sleep in since I’d had such a long and stressful few days. They are pros at having Peace Corps people stay with them so they know the drill. After breakfast I played BINGO and Monopoly with Mayra and the kidos. It was real fun and the bingo was great for me to practice my numbers in Spanish. After lunch Mayra told the kids we would not finish the game we had started because since it was Sunday she and I would need to rest a few hours more. Thus, I had my first siesta on Dominican soil. It was a much-needed nap!
Later on that night I went with Irene to her cousins house and the three of us shared a Presidente, the most popular beer here. I was careful not to drink too much since it’s against Peace Corps policy to be drunk – that’s cause for “separation” (aka. Being kicked out). They are pretty serious here about their policies and for good reason of course - it’s all about minimizing risk. (Thanks for calling mom and dad! It was so good to hear some family!)
Yesterday we stared our Spanish classes. I only have two other people in my group so it should be easy to get a grip on the language. After lunch we divided into small groups and with a Spanish teacher practiced taking the public transportation to our barrios. We also walked through our barrios to see where other trainees lived. From there we got on to a guagua (pronounced wa-wa, like baby), meaning bus. The bus took us to the main city part of Santo Domingo, the stop to get to the Peace Corps office. So we got off the bus, walked over the highway on the bridge to get back on a different bus to head back to the training center. All was fine until the bus broke (because there were way to many people on it, about 40) about 2 blocks from the place we got on. It took 40 minutes for another bus of the same route to come by but it was too full. One of the instructors had to call the center to tell them we would be late and our situation. Instead of waiting for the 10-B we got on 63 that lead us to the street that the center is on (it also takes me in front of my house, but my stuff was at the center). Some took a public car to the center and those of us who are into saving pesos for a rainy day walked. We also walked back to our barrio and decided on a time to meet in the morning since we are now responsible for getting to and from the center. We’ll be walking I think but I have a feeling I’ll be taking the car halfway sometimes. Why not? It’s hot and that’s a lot of walking! Because of the long day, I ate all my dinner and sat for a few hours outside while the lights were still out. Around 9pm the lights seem to come on and the power stays on until early morning, very convenient.
I’m very happy to have homework because I now feel like I have some type of organized learning in place and a conversation starter for my family. It also gives me an excuse to be in my room for a few minutes when I get home before I have to face those rambunctious kids. They are very nice and could be worse, but kids in general have way more energy than I do after a long day of speaking Spanish. So – that’s it for today. The pictures will be up when the connection is good and I have time to up load them. Thanks for reading. Buena Noche.

1 comment:

Raoul said...

Que bien chica!
Carinos, tu papa!