March 30, 2009

25 days in the DR... WOW

The scavenger hunt around El Seibo went well. Our team didn’t find all of the 30 items but we got to see the city, and that was the point. The people around town were very helpful and did their best to give us directions to places like the famous candy store and the sculpture of a famous bullfighter and bull. We also scoped out the discoteca in town, although it wasn’t open at 11AM, we took note of the huge sign that read WOW Discoteca. After lunch on Friday we all went to our assigned Spanish classes. My class is at my teacher’s host family’s house, which is only a 10-minute walk from my house. Here at CBT we’ll be going home for a two-hour lunch everyday, that leaves enough time for a siesta or Internet time. During Spanish we walked around to everyone in the classes house to familiarize ourselves just a bit more. There are only 3 other girls in my group so it made for a short trip. After the walk around the barrio, we gals went to the Lincos (community Internet center) right by my house for an hour. Upon returning home, I had fried plantains and salami for dinner. I have a feeling that this house likes their fried food! Maybe it’s easier to cook, not sure. I did get some reading done in my yoga magazine and decided to start my meditation practice on Saturday.

Saturday my group and I worked on our first assignment for CBT. We had to lead/facilitate an activity with a group of kids. We divided up the boys and girls and had them draw a map of the barrio. It would have worked had there not been one older girl who dominated the rest of the girls. We didn’t intend this girl to even stay (she was the host sister of Stephanie’s), but we worked with it anyway. So the girls were so particular about their map that they wouldn’t even draw unless they had the straightedge to use. It could have gone better, but for the most part the process went well. We found out that the kids would like a University, public pool, and a super market in the town. Most of them go to the Cyber café to play games so they know how to use computers. I thought that was neat. By the time we wrapped it up it was lunchtime. The house is always buzzing with people around lunchtime. One guy always brings food so I get that served on top of what Daisy makes for me, as well as a Dixie cup of Presidente Light (beer). Today this guy invited me to play dominoes. I figured it couldn’t hurt even though I feel the game is way boring compared to how I played it in the states. But, it was fun to be part of the Dominican crew. Later I met up with Stacey and Stephanie to explore the city a bit more. We found a few other PCT and ended up at a restaurant for some Coke, but it turns out they only had Pepsi. We all talked about our experience so far as well as our projects. Nothing turns heads more than a group of Americans! I really dislike being in groups. Later that night I had to get over myself, because 15 of us walked together to check out the Discoteca WOW! First we stopped off at the colmado across the street to drink the cheaper beer, besides – no one was even in the discoteca ‘cause it was so early (9PM). Daisy showed up with her oldest daughter – whom I had not met yet and invited us over to the park. A few of us went over there until 11PM – when we thought the club would be happening but we were wrong. We did our best to have fun but without a crowd to dance bachata with the gringos looked lost. I can do the dance as long as my partner knows how, but the guys we were with haven’t figured it out yet. I don’t think the crowed even shows up until after 2AM. I didn’t wait around to see, I left for the house around 1AM. Daisy gave me a key to the house so that I wouldn’t have to worry about coming home at any particular time. A nice gesture I think. It’s nice to have a little bit of independence. I would however, like a little bit more family time. Because everyone has a TV in their room there’s not much interaction at night. Most of socializing happens between lunch and dinner – a time when I’m at Spanish class. Oh well, this is yet another lesson that the Peace Corps will teach me. Learning how to break open my shell and jump feet first into the awkwardness of my house.

Sunday I slept for most of the morning! When I woke up around noon, the house was empty. I think there was a fiesta for a friend who had become the President of some association. Idaliby, Daisy’s oldest daughter, came over in the afternoon and took me to here house so I could call my novio (boyfriend) using her free Internet phone thing. *Although Kyle and I are no longer boyfriend/girlfriend, I find it easier and better to say that I have one, especially when men ask. – It’s a safety issue. Kyle and I caught up for about two hours! It was helpful to talk with him since I’ve had the awkward transition here in El Siebo. I came home to find the house empty again so I did was I’ve been doing – watching tv in my room. I found the Chile v. Peru soccer game on tv and started writing this post. My parents called too! What wonderful people they are! It was nice to hear their words of encouragement and praise. Family is where it’s at people, in case you haven’t figured it out. Thanks again, mom and dad for the call!

All in all, training will work out. On Friday we’ll have to give our first presentations in Spanish. Throughout this week I should be doing interviews with youth and adults to access the needs of the community. There is a list of about 15 things I need to touch on, but I think we’ll be in groups. Maybe it won’t be so daunting if there are two of us. Anyway, wish me luck.

1 comment:

Raoul said...

As Dr. Seuss once said, ..."You'll be on your way up! You'll be seeing great sights! You'll join the high fliers who soar to high heights."

Keep up the good work y habla mas espanol dominicana.

Carino -- Tu Papa y Mama