November 10, 2009

La Agua

When living in another I country I found that it's the little things that make me smile most. Like turning on the faucet and finding "clean" running water to brush your teeth and then having all barrels and buckets full of said clean water, cause you know it could be a week or more until the next time it comes. Taking a walk by your favorite colmado and the owner giving you the thumbs up 'cause they have your favorite kind of Dulce. Or the group of 10 year old girls that you walk by and they call your name just so they can see the Gringa wave. These are just a few of my favorite things. Again, like walking up to Altagracias house and the three year-old neighbor girl saying in the cutest little voice "hola, helen".. it is music to my ears and never fails to make me smile and feel warm inside.

Nothing sums up my life more than cleaning my underwear in the shower. It comes habitual. The women in this country don't usually put their under garments in with the familial wash. When going through training we were told this, but it never came up for me because my host families were all about cleaning my underwear. However, being in my own apartment now and doing my laundry elsewhere, I thought I would respect the local culture un chin (a little). So daily, after going through the regular process of the shower the last step is washing my underwear from the day before. Standing at my work table that is the cover of the lot-O gallon barrel in my shower I take my beloved Dr.Bronners and scrub away at my ever fading Calvin Kline undies. I've watched the Donas here, I know how they do it. Hell, I've watched my mother my whole life.. but nothing makes me smile more than standing naked in my shower washing my underwear. I think to myself, is this something I'll take back with me when I go back to the states? Part of me hope's so but with out the makeshift work table, who knows.

1 comment:

kay b said...

my mother has been hand-washing her undies (panties, slip, bra) as long as i've been old enough to notice. she still does this even at age 90. her reason: the washer and dryer ruin the elastic. i have never developed this habit. consequently my elastics are a stretched-out mess.